Friday, February 6, 2009

September 24, 2008, a day I’ll never forget.

I rolled over and hit snooze to my alarm clock blaring Britney Spears and fell back to sleep. Next thing I know my dad is standing over top of me with a confused look on his face “Brittney today is the big day, it’s your first day of college and you’re going to be late if you don’t wake up” jumping out of bed as if I just had a bad dream I ran down the hall and jumped in the shower.



This is where it all began; the morning of September 24, 2008 was a day that I will never forget. It was a beautiful day the sun was shining and it was so warm, and I was ready to go lay by the pool. All my friends were gone off to college and on this day that’s exactly where I was going.





It was my first day of college and I had been stressing out about this day for the past two weeks and was ready to quit before I even started. I had so many mixed emotions and so many unanswered questions. Snapping at my parents if they even mentioned the word college for the past two weeks, “This is real”; I thought to myself I was really going a student at OSU-Newark.


I live about an hour away from Newark, so I made sure that I left my house in plenty of time to be on time to my classes the first day, I hate being late and I wasn’t going to start off the year being late. After the long drive I finally arrived and had about a half hour to spare. It was a good thing I left early, the parking lot was crazy I didn’t think I was ever going to find somewhere to park. Finally about 10 minutes later I found the last parking spot in the whole parking lot it seemed like.



Because the campus was so beautiful I decided to take a tour, students’ everywhere finding their way to class.It was also very small which I liked a lot. This was much better than I expected. When I got to my class the first day, I sat down and waited for the teacher to get there. I was very nervous, therefore I didn’t know what to expect. This wasn’t like high school after all.



My teacher was so nice, and all the kids in my class seemed so cool. After my first class was over I realized it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going be and I actually thought I might be able to stick it out for the next 10 weeks. I met up with one of my friends from high school who was also going to Newark I wanted to see how her day was going and if she liked it so far. We had so much to talk about and not enough time. She seemed like she was having a great day and I was to, things were starting to look up. I started to get excited for my next class and wasn’t as nervous anymore. I ended up loving my last two classes, I even made new friends. I couldn’t wait to get home and tell my parents how my day went. On my long drive home I kept taking in everything that had went on that day.



I still had many mixed emotions but I wouldn’t say that I was scared anymore; they were more of happy emotions. I realized that this was reality there wasn’t any more time to play around waste time. I knew that I was going to have to study more and pay attention and actually go to class. This wasn’t high school and I wasn’t being babysat. When I got home my parents couldn’t wait to hear how my day went. I told them how my classes were, that I was meeting new friends, how much I liked it. They were so excited to see I wasn’t as stressed as I had been and that I was beginning to realize that it wasn’t what I had made it look to be.



After my first quarter I now understand that college is hard and it’s not going to get any easier. I love college and all the new friends that I’m making, but I don’t like to study and to do all the homework, that’s just not me. That doesn’t mean that I don’t do it, because I do and I know that after all the stress I go through and when I think I ready to give up, everything will get better. This is only my first year as a college student I can’t give up because its hard or I don’t like it because I don’t know that I haven’t been through the hardest parts yet. Achieve your goals and follow your dreams, make them reality. Show everyone that doesn’t think that you can do it that you can, and that you’re going to.

3 comments:

  1. Brittney...I agree with you. I hate studying. But this is the first time in my life where now i know i HAVE to start saying no to going out so much and actually stay up and study and get all my work done! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips. I look forward to reading more on the topic in the future. Keep up the good work! This blog is going to be great resource. Love reading it.
    ................................
    write term papers-essay writing help

    ReplyDelete